Committees & Workgroups
The New York-New Jersey Harbor & Estuary Program (HEP) has an overall structure known as the "Management Conference" authorized by the Federal Clean Water Act, Section 320. This "Conference" provides an open forum for discussion, planning, and action on environmental issues facing the Estuary. The committees and work groups are made up of many government, academic, private, and non-profit groups, as well as individual citizens. The HEP Program Office provides support to the Management Conference.
Technical Committees and Work Groups
- Public Access: Created in 2006 to helpimprove public access to the waterfront.
Water Quality: Formed in 2013, after combining a number of related committees (Pathogens, Nutrient, Toxics, Oversight groups) into one.
- Regional Sediment Management: Addresses sediment and dredging issues.
- Restoration: Restores and protects habitat and natural resources.
- Citizens: Provides opportunity for citizen input to the program with a focus on education, stewardship and public access.
- Science and Technical: Provides scientific guidance to program.
HEP Program Office